Friday, December 21, 2012

My Hope: A lil walk down memory Lane

Growing up in my Home town was sometimes a nightmare, can be fun but sometimes it was just.....sigh. I needed to leave and breathe!!!! I had fun sometimes, i was able to create some fun for myself, made lots and lots of friends, had time to build my personality, read a lot and developed a relationship with God. But as a teenager, theres just this irreplaceable desire to get out and go somewhere. It sort of felt like my life was stalling, all thanks to this townish village. lol

One of my friends was Tunde Okelana. He was a neighbor while I was staying with my Guardian. She did not exactly like him 'cos Tunde was, (in retrospect) a typical teenage boy and she did not want him influencing me and her kids. But we liked each other a lot and over time i developed a huge crush on him. We spent most of the day together and being neighbors, it wasn't long before we grew inseparable. I thought i was in-love, as in love as any 15year old could be. Not even sure how we got separated but i left my home town (Thank God!!!!) for University and  we lost touch until this year, thanks to face book. But even after reconnecting on Facebook it wasn't until Friday night that i got a Skype request from him, i accepted and we played catch up.  He wanted to video Skype (see your royal Hawtness after so long -ME FYI) but i was already in bed (i take my beauty sleep serious) and could only chat. Was planning on video skype-ing on Saturday (the next day when I'm all pampered up) but for some funny reason i did not.

I woke up Monday morning and saw RIP on his Facebook wall. I saw his wife write, people should stop saying/writing nonsense on her husband's wall. And i thought it was a pretty expensive joke that he will have to deal with. How could i have imagined it to be true? My very young friend died suddenly in Cairo Egypt leaving his mother, wife, children and family behind.

Last weekend was one of too many deaths so close to the end of the year (Adam Lanza killing 20 children and 7 adults in an elementary school, the navy chopper accident in Nigeria, the now regular killings by Boko Haram in Nigeria). And I'm so sad, vey sad. I can't help but wonder why i had to re-unite with him same weekend he was gonna die, why did i not allow us talk on Skype that night? Could i have said something to him? A lot of questions but very few answers.

Deaths like these makes you realise this season of Christmas, of celebrating the birth of Jesus is also one of sober reflection. Drink, be merry but do not forget the very reason for the season. It's because of him that we are not afraid of death and it's sting and he is the reason we have hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment