Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Does Your Life Count for MORE?

Happy New Year!!! |*Covering my eyes in shame*  I know its the second quater of 2011 already, and to think am writing my first blog of 2011 today? SHAME on meeeeee.

2011 has been a busy year for me. Thought i will be somewhere else by now...but am still here and really the paths of the righteous are indeed ordered by God. (O yeah! I am RIGHTEOUS!!!!!).

Lost someone who was like a father to me...he was my late Dads only friend (to the best of my knowledge). They were 3 actually, then one died early (never met him), then my Dad died (@ 70) and now the last one at 78. I am excited because my Dada knew Christ, and the last one gave his life to Christ couple of years ago.
However, I think about their lives and i cant help but wonder what life is really about, were they were really and genuinely happy? All their hardwork, all they had (material wealth and what everyone seem to be chasing now),  did it really really matter at the end?
 They lived a long life? Yeah! 70 aint that short. Most importantly, i believe they also lived a life of influence and were true leaders. My Dada never held a political position and was not appointed or anointed into any position in church or club,  but in the community  everyone knew him. He was an influence beyond his immediate family. He loved his children and his wife a WHOLE lot! But he loved the people around him too. He made sure in his own way, he influenced the decision of "The Decision Makers" and steered everyone to do more for the society.

I went back home recently and everywhere was in chaos. My street was in a state of absolute degradation, everywhere was a mess and my heart wept!!! I wept because i know if David Adekoya was alive, it would NEVER be in that state, if he couldnt do it all by himself, he would approach the lawmakers or the land-owneres; he will do all within his power to make sure the street was repaired and maintained. I saw the children running around and not going to school and I know Dada would have called the parent to order and personally enroll the child in a public school at least.

This is not a Bio on my  Dada and his lifestyle (before this turns out to be an epistle), but a challenge to any one reading this.

What are you doing currently to help the society at large? How are you influencing your community? Whatever you may have done or doing...... DO More!!! Life is short, make yours count! teach that mallam's son how to turn on a computer and turn it off. Pay a child school fees. Make a commitment to an NGO you believe in, go out of your way and help someone TODAY!!!


Ciao people!!

5 comments:

  1. Hi sis, thanks for your inspiring blog. It moved me to tears(those who know me would say, that's not hard to do). Seriously, you should write more, you have a gift for writing. It's in the family. Our papa, whom you wrote so beautifully and honestly about was an excellent writer. And I keep getting strong urges to write and I m going to start writing now. So, go for it, find any opportunity and avenue to write. It can be about anything. The more you write the better you get.
    I will miss pa Osi too. He was a lovely man and I am so glad he knew Christ.
    Never mind about where you thought you would be now. Your steps are indeed ordered by our Lord. Keep holding on to Him and keep listening and followhim. I love and miss you so so much. Kemi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larha, i really love this article you shared. A few weeks ago I urged people to give towards charity. The underlying message wasnt just about sparing a few pence to the homeless kids on the streets, after all, theres not much a few pence can do. I really do hope we combine sensitivity, selflessness and social responsibility to give what we can for the benefit of the community without even being asked. It's not always about clothes, money or other forms of material needs; expressing love can foster harmony and create a better community for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Captain, I love the three S "Sensitivity, Selflessness and Social Responsibility" Already thinking of a write up on that!!!
    Its definately a whole lot more than the material need and the motive behind it all is LOVE. Thanks Cap!

    ReplyDelete