Right now,
I’m looking round the house. Making sure the cleaning up has been done properly
and to my satisfaction. Walls wiped (maintaining white paint in Nigeria is a
HUGE task), floors mopped, windows cleaned, toilets sparkling, Kitchen in top
notch state, lawn mowed, sigh! It really is a long list. I'm really looking
forward to managing my very own house.
Anyway,
suddenly i tried to Imagine this house as one of the houses in the flooded
area, I tried to imagine having to move from the comfort of my own home into a
tent and waiting for someone to bring me my daily meal, I can’t work, there’s
no ATM, there’s no market to buy food, no kitchen to cook my meals, I can’t
feed my family. Having to manage whatever daily ration I get in the camp.....?
Then i realized, we can’t all just sit and wait and pray and wonder what the
government is doing to help this people?
I’m here in
my niece ad nephew’s room trying to piece my thoughts together on my laptop and
my 2 yr old niece is just screaming and crawling all over me, trying to draw my
attention to only God knows what. Oh! There’s a cobweb somewhere I need to
see!!!
What will
it be like trying to manage a 2yr old in the camp? No schools, no teachers, no
hospitals. Different characters in the camp. Sigh!
There was
no warning! No fore-cast, just a sudden surge of flood, no warning. Right now,
I’m not looking for whom to blame or how responsible or irresponsible the
government is. I’m just wondering what you and I as citizens are doing about
helping our fellow citizens. This is an opportunity to reach out. If you look
hard enough, you will figure out a way to help. You, yeah I mean you might just
be the custodian of a very unique solution if only you will think about it for
more than 30seconds.
Let me
introduce you to I-respond.
According
to the Nigeria Red Cross 64,000 people have been displaced, 148 dead and an
estimated 134,000 have been affected by the recent flood crisis across 21
states in Nigeria.
In response
to this, the HOPE Foundation has launched a relief project called Project
i-Respond to raise relief materials (foodstuffs, blankets and clothing items,
etc) for the affected areas. Cash donations are also welcomed.
When issues
like this come before us, many-a-times, we tend to think that there is nothing
we can do about it, whereas there is so very much that we can do. This is why iRespond
Project was launched- to get as many people as possible to respond-in-action to
the ills of this time, there is a need to RESPOND, and quickly too.
Only a life
lived in the service to others is worth living. - Albert Einstein
For more
info: call 07037711776 or mail eagleshopefoundation@gmail.com or follow us
@HOPEfoundation0
Happy
Holidays!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment