Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A drunkard: Reflection of who I was?



I wrote this blog on Sunday. But between Swift (my servive provider) and Nepa, its just getting published today.

I saw something today that i only see on African Magic . Coming from a church service where the message was on love and sacrifice i was on the lookout for ways to express the abundance of love God has poured into my heart afresh (yup! Yup!).
My friends and I decided to go to a friend’s place to celebrate the first birthday of his adorable baby princess. Walking up to their house, our attention was drawn to the figure of a man, lying in a puddle on this muddy road. Honestly, my initial thoughts were how can a dead man be lying on the floor in an estate and no one is doing anything about it? I decided to take a closer look, Boom! He moved. I was shocked! Why is everybody not helping him up? Why were they all walking past him? Why is nobody calling the 767? A woman then informed me, this was their estate drunk. In her words, "When he wakes up, he'll go to his house (He has a house?), wash up and go for another drink, this is not unusual. That's why his neighbor put up a sort of barricade around him, so no car will accidentally run over him." That was the account of a resident!
A drunk man asleep on the road, what was he thinking? oh, he wasn't!
I was shocked that this actually happens in real life and not just some Naija Nollywood stunts!  And it wasn’t an unusual sight for them in that esatae? Serious wahala o.

Most importantly, I was  pleasantly surprised that someone took their time to protect him from harm even when it was obvious that if harm should come to him, the neighbors (even the onlookers like me) will say 'he had it coming'. But someone loved him, cared about him, overlooked all his irresponsible disgraceful and demonic habit. Someone was protecting him from harming himself, or even getting himself killed. Someone wanted him alive, giving him another chance….. maybe just maybe he will get help and change his ways?
I couldn’t help but wonder if this is a reflection of the kind of love Jesus has for us. While we're yet sinners, he gave his life for us, with the hope that one day we will accept his sacrifice and embrace his love. When we don't,he doesn't stop watching over us, providing for us, and protecting us sometimes (most times?) from ourselves.
I see this young man and I know there's the breath of God inside him, I wonder if this was what i looked like before Christ died for me? And yet, he still called me 'to die for'? Will i dare soil my hands trying (key word TRYING) to help this man? I don't think so.

As we start a new week, the very last week of the third quarter of the year, I am so grateful to God, for ALL he's done, all he did and all he plans on doing in me and for me. I'm just so glad 'cos even when i don't deserve his blessings, miracles et al, his grace and mercy speaks and he just decides to bless me anyway. AMAYZING father and I just love to praise him, cant help loving him.

To round off, happy birthday to all my plenry September friends. September is really a special month filled with wonderful people. There’s just something about this month that’s special to me (not as special as June o!). Wishing y'all a fantastic new year. (Kinda hope i have a September baby too *grinning*)
I hope u spend this week with a grateful heart to God and consciously spreading his Love by loving others around you. Have a fab week people! Love y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment